Sarjeant House Wanganui
The large Italianate Villa stands proud on a ridge in Bell Street Wanganui, just a couple of blocks from the city centre.
Articles read the house built in 1907 using Rimu, Matai, Totara and Kaurit and that no expense was spared in building Sarjeant House. While over 100 years on its former grandeur is still readily apparent, much work has been done since David & Marina purchased the property in May 2018.
The façade is close to being completed and the ground floor as been repainted, furnished and repaired.
This historic Villa was built by Henry and Ellen Sarjeant, from sketches she had taken whilst on honeymoon in Lake Como Italy. In 1912 Henry went on to generously donate a huge sum of money. Equivalent of over $70 million in today’s terms, to establish Sarjeant Gallery “as a means of inspiration for ourselves and those who come after us”.